Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Changes at Screen Ramblings (Eventually)

Ryan McGee's recent piece on what the future of TV criticism should be really hit home with me. I'm an aspiring critic who's trying to get my work read, and as such I've favored the traditional episode-by-episode review format used by the majority of TV-related websites, since after all they must be doing something right. Well, this article has caused me to reconsider that notion. Because he's right: there are hundreds of sites out there doing exactly what I'm doing. So while I truly am passionate about what I write (and I agree with him that this is the most important thing), the fact remains that I'm not saying anything that isn't being said (usually better) by others.


That said, you're not going to see a complete switch over to other kinds of content, at least not immediately. Reading this piece has energized me, but at this point I'm still not entirely sure what I'm going to write about. I have a few general ideas for longer pieces, but when these pieces will actually get written is anyone's guess. So for now I'll be continuing to do what I've been doing: reviewing the rest of this current season of "Sons of Anarchy" as well as new episodes of either "Parks and Rec" or "Community" (I've decided to start reviewing only one each week in order to give me more time to work on this other stuff). This format still has value to me, particularly as a student who spends a large amount of his writing time on class assignments. And it does allow me to keep the blog updated fairly regularly. (After "Sons" is done for the season I may switch over to covering "Revenge". We'll see.)

So that will continue for the foreseeable future. But I intend to start branching out over the next few months. I don't know quite yet whether that will be through weekly or biweekly posts on whatever strikes me as interesting to write about, pieces analyzing series from a slightly more long-term perspective, some form of audio or video review feature (unlikely since I'm much more comfortable writing than talking, but never say never), or something else entirely. Time will tell. I also do plan on resuming film coverage at some point, though I realize I've been promising that for a while. Essentially what I'm saying is that things at Screen Ramblings are going to get shaken up a bit pretty soon. And I for one am excited. 

No comments:

Post a Comment