Wednesday, August 10, 2011

"Breaking Bad" - "Bullet Points"

Spoilers for this week's "Breaking Bad" after the jump:


I wish I had more time to spend on this week's "Breaking Bad", but I'm still on the mend from my dental work and don't want to overdo it. In any case, this was easily the best episode of the season so far. And to anyone concerned about the somewhat slow pace of the opening trio of episodes... I strongly suspect you found "Bullet Points" far more to your liking.

"Breaking Bad's" opening scenes are often mini-masterpieces by themselves, and Mike's brush with death (at the hands of the drug cartel Gus crossed last season) was one of the very best. It set the stage for an installment full of close calls and interesting twists: as well as some of the show's trademark dark humor in the Skyler-Walt "rehearsal" scene.

This show tends to get better and better the more trapped Walter White gets. At this point, he's basically boxed in from all sides. His brother-in-law's investigating Gale's murder, Gus still wants him dead (at least in his mind), and now Jesse's missing. It almost goes without saying that Bryan Cranston portrayed all of the terror and anger Walt's feeling with his usual brilliance.

That's about all I've got to say right now. I'd like to talk about the episode in more detail, but I'm still kind of out of it. Those two longer film reviews I posted on Saturday and Monday were written well in advance. "New" content probably won't be at full strength until next week. If you're looking for more detailed coverage, please check out the AV Club reviews as well as Alan Sepinwall's. I should be back to normal soon. Until then... great, great episode.    

Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment